Tuesday, April 10, 2012

[Day] Break Dancing and other Self-Realizing Pursuits

Waiting on work to commence (commonly known as unemployment, personally known as funemployment) is tricky business in any city. But in Buenos Aires, it´s another beast altogether.

You know you should lay low, focus and be on your A-game as much of the time as possible in order to maximise your job-obtaining chances and minimize the time it takes to do it.

However, job-searching isolationism coupled with an obligationless tomorrow married by a ferocious social appetite and a city to feed it usually ends in a bitter separation between what you should do and what you actually do. And, in Buenos Aires it means you party. Usually, till the break of dawn. Could be a Tuesday. Could be a Thursday. Like the last few Thursdays at hip-hop club Lost where I watch serious Argentinian break dance competitions whilst dancing with British Gap Yah kids that include heirs to certain sandwich empires and successors to certain British thrones (the details of this story are best expressed in person!).

Needless to say, I´m easily convinced to go out.

Though, going to bed after the sun which is inevitable in a city where parties start at 2am, is not the best way to start a productive day. Consequently, I wake up with a buzz in my head and just enough time to question my existence; this usually doesnt end well for my morale.


Low points have included looking at plane tickets back home and eating dulce de leche out of a tub.


Luckily, this is mearly a by-product of living in a new, foreign city and one I know, with a little bit of time, can properly be managed. Even luckier is the fact that I´ve weaseled my way into a seriously great group of friends here that have helped in making BA more of a home. Albeit, they certainly don´t help in the social curtailment challenge.

Good news-

This week marks the commencment of my English teaching endeavours and a possible full-time writing gig, which will subsequently give me a purpose here and hopefully keep me on the straight and narrow. Or, at least give me a reason to go to bed before the sun. Mostly. Sometimes. I mean, I am a social creature after all.

Everything in moderation and all that...


Weather is getting cooler, and autumn is rolling in. My favorite season, and I get to experience it twice this year. Thank you, Buenos Aires.


Things are definitely on the up and up!


Ciao for now...

No comments:

Post a Comment